Sunday, April 7, 2013

Dystopias

So I really like government dystopias like 1984, Brave New World, Animal Farm, and Atlas Shrugged. I love the messages that they instill. It's terrifying to see the choices that led to those environments occurring today in our society and government. I brought this point up with a couple people and that coupled with the fact that I write, they told me I should write one that appealed to today's audience.

I should write one. But how. How do I write one?

I think it would be from the perspective of one of the spoiled. Someone who totally believed in the propaganda and wholeheartedly followed it and even promoted it. They will be eager to. Eventually they will start catching the logical fallacies of their government. The inherent oxymoronic beliefs. When they look into it, like a simple tweeting question or google search, it triggers two things, the resistance and the government's network.

The environment. I don't actually want to go to science fiction to the point it's not believable such as BNW or told in some other culture like Animal Farm. I want it to be very relateable. So maybe make it vague enough that it could be modern day but throw in just enough small elements that it seems off. Maybe some old technology and new technology. Make it very anachronistic. Very heavy governmental control but with conflicting ideas. Need to develop this.

Story is about the main character's shift from spoiled sheep to being aware of the situation through interactions with the government and the resistance.

To be developed...

No comments:

Post a Comment