Friday, August 2, 2013

What if: Star Wars

I've had several discussions about Star Wars recently and I want to record some of them here for others to play with as well.

One of my favorite bits of trivia is that the Ewoks in Episode VI were originally going to be Wookies.

Now, that would have significantly changed the battle between the Storm Troopers and the native inhabitants helping the perky heroes. Bad ass wookies wouldn't have let the Storm Troopers set up shop in the first place.

Unless they were pacifists...

Which would be why Chewie is out exploring the galaxy with Han Solo instead of hanging out with his people. He's not a pacifist and therefore would not have fit in with the native culture. As an outcast, he left and came into cahoots with Han Solo, another fringe figure. (Personally I want more of Han's and Chewie's past, I wanna know how they met and what their stories are.) So then the battle in Episode VI would be less about little fuzzy bears taking out the storm troopers and more convincing the wookies to take back their forests with Chewie leading the charge.

It's an interesting tangent.

Another one I'd love to play with is the fact that Luke and Leia are twins. So how would the story have been different if Leia had been the Jedi and Luke the prince? I mean, obviously Leia has the kick-ass personality to maintain being a hero, but she would have encountered and would have had to convince Han first. And that would put Luke into the damsel in distress position. And hopefully eliminate that awkward Luke/Leia thing so she could get with the real hunk earlier (oops my love for Harrison Ford's characters are showing). As cool as it is to have a female figure in the position of authority such as being a princess, with the inclusion of Episodes I-III that has already been done, and putting a female into the hero's role would be a lot more interesting I think. Not that Leia played up the princess role or that Prince Luke would be a wuss, I would just love to see those roles flipped.

What changes would you make to the Star Wars canon-verse?

No comments:

Post a Comment