Thursday, May 16, 2013

Science Fiction Recommendations Part 2


There is such a wide range of science fiction because of the vast multitude of what if scenarios. It's also why alternate histories or apocalyptic stories are so popular. Everyone wants to share their idea of what would happen. The reestablishment and/or rewriting of the rules that make up society based on a single change can fall an infinite time and the number of changes that are possible from a loss of electricity, the invasion of aliens, introduction of space travel, the use of technology that looks like magic, to a shift in society or government, a shift of biology, the threat of an asteroid coming to kill us all are also so very infinite. And infinity times infinity, well you get a lot of stories.


Dragons of Pern by Ann McCaffrey. Now you might be asking why I am putting dragons into a science fiction post but that's the coolest thing about this series. She started writing them in 1967 and the first couple definitely read as fantasy but then you learn about their history and that's where it goes science fiction. She was able to tie in all the little fantasy detail into a science fiction base. She was writing about genetic modification before that was a current term. But it doesn't feel like a ploy she just happened to through in there to make it science fiction. It is so seamless that your jaw just drops when you start looking at the publication dates. I think I read the majority of this series in one summer. I read them like candy. So very very delicious candy. Start with The Dragonriders of Pern.

1984 by Orwell and Brave New World by Huxley. I've talked about these before on here, haven't I? If not make sure that I do. These are two of my favorite dystopian novels. It is now after the year 1984 but that just makes this book highlight our slow progress compared to where science fiction authors think we should be at (just look at Back to the Future, where are our hover boards). But both of them highlight what both governmental changes and technological control can do to us. Big Brother is a current threat but I am glad we have moved away from the short hand speech patterns that were similar across 1984 and texting behavior. We aren't clear of the government propaganda nor loss of individual rights just yet though. Brave New World seems a little far fetched and removed from the current standings of the world but there are trends and warning still hidden within their seemingly foreign society such as the push for materiality through a consumer mentality, the satisfaction through entertainment, the subduing with drugs. We should be taking these book as warnings.

I have no mouth, and I must scream by Harlan Ellison. Oh man, this is an awesome take on a violent computer take over. Violent being the keyword there. Violent, malignant, hateful, loathing, just run through the thesaurus and you won't find enough words to describe the artificial intelligence that rules this world. This story is creepy and disturbing but AM is definitely known as one of the best, or at least famous/infamous AIs out there. He ranks up with Hal 9000 and GLaDOS. Oh and then there is the videogame. I haven't played it but I recommend listening to its intro. It was voiced by the author which just makes me concerned for his mentality (and my own for when I write characters such as AM). Shudder

In Her Name: Redemption by Michael Hicks. This is another light toss up. It's a trilogy that I got free on my Kindle but it was pretty good. It has an interesting alien societal structure. It uses that foreigner/outsider aspect I talked about a couple posts back to use as a vehicle to take the reader through the female warrior based world. It's not as deep as some of the others but it's still an interesting read for the world building.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I don't actually particularly like Bradbury. His science fiction seems cheesy. The themes behind his science fiction are what are important though. The only one I'll put on this list is Fahrenheit 451 for the obvious society what-if. What if we reject books? It's good commentary and I feel like we are sliding towards the television walls with our giant screens. Yea, I don't like that. As long as we keep books though, we should be fine. Right?

In Death by JD Robb. JD Robb is actually Nora Roberts. In Death is a series of murder mysteries set in the future. So it's more murder mystery than it is science fiction but the science fiction/new technology is brought into the fold very well. I really hope by 2060 we will have hover cars though. Really want hover technology. I like this series of books because it has a great heroine who you can see mature and grow into a well rounded kick ass person instead of the tough gritty bitchy cop that she starts out as. The introduction of characters develops a great cast that allows for more intricate personal relationships as the stories continue. I think there are like over 30 books now. The first one is Naked in Death.

Portal. Yes this isn't a book but how could I mention GLaDOS above and not bring up Portal. Portal is a very self contained universe of testing rooms lead by a super computer/AI who has such the snarkiest, bitchiest wit that I absolutely love. The entire game was created to play with the physics engine under the premise of using portals to move about rooms. You get to the next room by solving puzzles. You play as possibly the only human left for all you know and everything seems okay until you get to the end of the puzzles. And then everything goes to hell. It's awesome. (Bioshock is another great science fiction -ish game but that one has a lot of other literary ties and would need it's own post that I might write up later. I still need to play the second and third games. And maybe actually play Bioshock myself instead of watching people play. Whatever.)

I've read a lot more science fiction than this but these are several highlights that rattle around my head and haunt me and if you bring them up I will talk for minimum an hour if you just let me ramble. If you like science fiction then most of these are must reads or you have already read them. If you are new to science fiction, these are some pretty good starters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment